Property Owner Information About South Bethany Welcome to South Bethany Video


Troy Crowson, Chief of Police
Sgt. Alfred Davis
Cpl. Patrick Wiley
PFC Nate Hudson

           To Contact Cpl. Patrick Wiley, Public Information Officer              

                         PHONE: 302-539-3996 (Ext. 214)                          

FAX: 302-539-7545



Non-Emergency (State Police): 302-855-2980





CodeRED Weather Warning All Call Script 
We have implemented the CodeRED Weather Warning Alert Script, an automatic severe weather alert service, to alert citizens in the path of severe thunderstorms, flash floods and tornadoes. Click on the link below to sign up and enter your contact information. You may select which types of warnings you would like to receive. There is no charge for this service.



 The officers of South Bethany Police remain dedicated to the community and its residents. Our officers are well versed in community service with most offering over twenty years of experience. Educationally, three of our officers hold an Associate's degree and two hold Bachelor of Science degrees. The department strives to stay current with community policing trends through yearly in-service training. Active involvement with the town's Neighborhood Watch program not only heightens interaction between homeowners, visitors, and the police, but also adds to the cohesiveness of the community. In addition, our officers have a personal vested interest in making our town safe and secure for its residents, since most live in the town's surrounding areas. 



Please address all correspondence concerning citizen complaints to the
Chief of Police
How to Avoid and Detect Elder Fraud: A Guide for Older People, Caregivers, and Relatives  
Recognize The Signs of Terrorism-Related Suspicious Activity
If You See Something, Say Something 


Secure Your Packages

We would like to remind everyone to take extra security measures when mailing and receiving packages.Thieves look for unattended packages left in mailboxes and doorsteps. We recommend mailing packages at the post office instead of placing them inside mailboxes and sending packages via certified mail that require a signature from the recipient.


Water Leaks - Help Us Help You

During the winter season, fluctuating temperatures often cause frozen water pipes to burst causing severe damage to homes and property. We encourage all non-residents who own homes in South Bethany to make sure the town hall/police department has a current phone number on file for you so town employees can notify you if your home experiences a water leak.

Parking Problems Most Frequently Incurred by Motorists

Parking without a valid permit.

Permit improperly displayed. Stickers must be displayed on the back of the rear view mirror. Hanging permits must be hung from the rear view mirror.

Remember to keep your vehicle locked to prevent the theft of your permit.

Parking on the roadway or against the flow of traffic.

Parking in No Parking Areas, Lifeguard Parking, Handicap Parking, or blocking driveways.

Motorists are reminded to park on the right side of the road off of the roadway as far as possible.


Bicycle Safety in South Bethany - Know the Law Before You Ride

The South Bethany Police Department is very concerned for the safety of our residents and visitors. So we would like to make you aware of some important information concerning the operation of bicycles on town roads and on State Route 1.

  • Bicycles are subject to the same traffic laws as motor vehicles and as such, must obey all traffic laws and signals that apply to motor vehicles. This includes texting/talking on a cell phone and operating a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol. Yes, you can be charged with DUI while riding a bicycle.
  • Bicycles must ride as close as practicable to the right hand edge of the road way in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic and are not permitted to ride on sidewalks.
  • When riding at night, bicycles must be equipped with a light on the front which emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and a red reflector which must be visible for 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of a motor vehicle with its low beams on.
  • When wearing headphones while riding, the headphones must not cover both ears.
  • Riders and passengers under the age of 18 must always wear a helmet. Parents/guardians of minor children riding without helmets may be cited for this violation. The South Bethany Police Department recommends riders of all ages to wear helmets.

Reporting Accidents and No Wake Zone Violations

Complaints regarding boat accidents should be directed to the Delaware Department of Fish and Wildlife (DNREC) at 302-739-4580.

Complaints regarding watercraft violations of no wake zones: 302-739-9913 OR 1-800-523-3336 (24 hour/7 day a week dispatch call line).

Prior to reporting wake violations, please try to ascertain the offending vehicles description, a physical description of the driver, and the registration number of the vehicle. A no wake zone violation is a finable offense which may result in fines from $25.00 - $100.00, but the typical penalty amount including court costs is $82.00.

Speed Limits        

Please drive slowly and carefully through town. Please remember to watch your speed on side streets. The posted speed limit is 20 mph. Also remember that Delaware law requires that all vehicles make a complete stop at stop signs. This is especially important during the summer months because streets not only see an increase in vehicular traffic but also ansignificant increase in pedestrian traffic. Cars share the road with families walking to the beach, joggers out for a run, and children out on a bike ride.            

Please be aware that pedal cyclists must also obey all traffic laws and can be cited for violations. Helmets are required under the age of 18, but are recommended for everyone. Additional information can be obtained from the police department M-F 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The South Bethany Police Department is located at 402 Evergreen Road directly behind the Town Hall. Our contact numbers are listed below:

302-539-3996 OR
the non-emergency state police dispatch 302-855-2980

911 should be utilized for emergencies only.

Please continue to report any suspicious activity.

Parking permits will be in effect May 15 to Sept. 15. Parking permits can be obtained from the Town Hall Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed daily noon to 1 p.m.). Parking Permits can be obtained from the Police Department Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. beginning May17.

Delaware "Move Over" Law

The Delaware Move Over law (Title 21, Section 4134b1 of the Delaware Traffic Code) requires any driver approaching a stopped emergency vehicle that has its lights activated, to either move over into a lane that is not next to the emergency vehicle, or to reduce his or her speed to a safe speed while passing the emergency vehicle if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe. The law applies specifically to roadways having two or more lanes going in the same direction.

Anyone who works alongside our highways is particularly vulnerable to being hurt by inattentive and careless drivers, said Tricia Roberts, Director of the Office of Highway Safety. Sadly, dozens of law enforcement officers alone in Delaware have been injured and even killed by passing motorists while working outside of their vehicles.


Emergency workers on our highways, whether they are law enforcement officers, firefighters, or EMS personnel, depend upon all motorists to be attentive to their presence. This law is intended to enhance the safety of emergency workers in the performance of their duties on our roadways.


The Move Over Law applies to law enforcement vehicles, EMS vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks, fire police, and park rangers that have stopped on a roadway and have their lights activated. A law already on the books in Delaware requires motorists to yield the right of way to moving emergency vehicles that are using either their lights or sirens, or both.


Smart 911

Provided at no cost to citizens, Smart 911 allows families to opt-in and choose what information they would like to share with 911 and first responders in an emergency. Items such as photos and physical descriptions can speed the response for missing person cases. Health and rescue information such as medical conditions, disabilities, and allergies. Citizens are even able to provide information about their home and work addresses including locations of bedrooms for rescues, entry and exit points, or emergency shut-offs for gas and electric. They can even share pet information to let first responders know that there are animals or livestock on the property.


Home Security and Crime Prevention Tips
Dont Make it Easy for the Bad Guys!

Keep an inventory with serial numbers, purchase receipts and photographs of resalable appliances, antiques, furniture and jewelry. Store copies in a safe place.

Keep your home well lit at night. Consider installing exterior lighting and/or motion sensing lights.

Dont place high dollar electronic items/appliances such as TVs, home entertainment systems, etc., where they can be seen through windows from the outside. Or keep blinds closed.

If you will be away from your residence for an extended period of time, dont store high dollar items in your residence. Or keep them in a locked fireproof safe that is bolted to the floor. Notify neighbors and the police department when going away on a trip.

Always lock your doors and windows - install deadbolts on all your doors.

Use the Neighborhood Watch program to keep an eye on your neighborhood.

Dont leave notes on the door when going out. Leave lights on or use timers when youre away for an extended period.

When you are away, cancel all deliveries and arrange for your yard to be mowed.

Arrange for your mail to be held by the post office or ask a neighbor to collect it for you.

Place house numbers where they can be easily seen by police and other first responders, especially at night. Consider using numbers made out of reflective material.

Consider installing a home security system.

Trim surrounding vegetation such as shrubs and trees so that they do not provide concealment for would be thieves.

DON'T hesitate to report crime or suspicious activity.

What to Do if You Are a Victim of Identity Theft


1. PLACE A FRAUD ALERT on your credit reports by contacting one of the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) listed below. Request your free credit reports.


2. CALL ALL COMPANIES where an account has been misused or opened fraudulently. Close or flag as necessary. Follow up in writing, enclosing an Affidavit.


3. REPORT TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISION. File a complaint online at Enclose a copy, called an FTC Affidavit, with your letters to companies and CRAs. Provide a copy to the police if you file a police report.


4. FILE A REPORT WITH THE POLICE. Ask them to attach your FTC Affidavit to the report. To fix mistakes on your credit report, send a copy to each CRA and the companies that provided the inaccurate information.


Credit Reporting Agencies

Experian: 888-397-3742; Trans Union: 800-680-7289; Equifax: 800-525-6285

Six Tips to Avoid Contractor Fraud

When seeking a contractor for a home improvement job, you should get estimates from at least three reputable contractors. You should also contact the Better Business Bureau for information about any previous complaints regarding their work. Make sure the contractor has a current mercantile license with the Town and is insured.

When structuring a payment schedule with the contractor, never make a full payment up front. You should always insist on a receipt for any payments you make. A reputable contractor will accept payments based upon the percentage of work completed.

Most reputable contractors will enter into a written agreement outlining the rights and responsibilities of each party, the work to be done, and the payment schedule. If a contractor refuses to enter into a written agreement, you may not have any legal remedies to future problems.

If you are approached by a "traveling" contractor who makes an offer that is too good to be true, be very careful. "Traveling contractors" commonly offer Home Improvement deals including driveway sealing, roof coating, and exterior painting. They will request a large cash payment up front and never return to complete the work. In most cases the work is of poor quality if they return at all.

Most reputable contractors do not solicit door-to-door. However, in Delaware, when you enter into a contract with a door-to-door solicitor, the law requires that you be given 72 hours to cancel a contract that involves $25 or more.

If a contractor starts a project but does not return to complete it, you should immediately alert the Consumer Protection Unit of the Attorney General's office. An investigator will help you determine the appropriate course of action for your situation.

Be sure to contact the police if you see any suspicious door-to-door solicitors. It is important to contact the police if you feel that you are a victim of fraud.

Consumer Protection Unit 1-800-220-5424

The police are not dispatched during medical calls. When 911 is activated, the dispatcher transfers the calls for service to the appropriate agency. The police are sent only upon request of the caller or for serious medical emergencies (CPR and AED responses).